Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thursday- tempo thoughts!

Woke up this morning feeling like a 90 year old woman. My ankles and calves were feeling exceptionally achy. My first thought when I got out of bed was "no way am I running a 5K this weekend." 5Ks sound easy because the mileage is MUCH lower than a marathon race. But don't be fooled; they are certainly a challenge! You are putting out full speed from the moment the gun goes off until you cross the finish line. Even 30 seconds off pace can hinder your chances of hitting your target time goal. You have to be on the entire time. The scene in Napoleon Dynamite where Kip electrocutes Napoleon with the time machine and he's saying "KILLS! KILLS!"...that's exactly the thoughts that go through my head as I'm running 5Ks. Call me a masochist, but it's a great feeling when you push your body to its limits. It's just fun! And, that's why I love 5Ks. :-D

Chardon 5K 7/3/10--can you see the similarity? haaa
Sooooo, as I was limping around like granny this morning, I ate some breakfast, had a nice, big cup of coffee, and relaxed a bit before heading out for my 40 minute tempo run today. During the first five minutes of my tempo, my ankles and calves were feeling pretty uncomfortable. But once I picked up the pace at 10 minutes,  the pain eased away. Then, it started to rain (I LOOOOOVE running in summer rain), my adrenaline was WAY up, and I rocked the next 20 minutes of my tempo. I ran in between a 7:00-7:20min/mi, although I was feeling 6:50min/mi but held back to not over-do it since I was so sore this morning. I slowly decelerated to an easy pace (8:00-8:20min/mi) for the last 10 minutes, and covered 5.17 miles (which is a 7:44min/mi average...this doesn't mean much for a tempo since I run significantly different paces throughout it).

So, what's on the agenda for this weekend? Good question. I've been going back and forth, and will likely change my mind again. Yes, I'm an indecisive person, however I try my best to be a "smart" runner. In my opinion, being a "smart" runner means listening to your body. If your exhausted, sore, or just not feelin' it, the world will not end if you alter your running plans. Often times, these are signs of over training which can overall hinder your running performance. So, if you wake up the morning of a long run and aren't feeling it, switch up your schedule a little bit and get it in later. If you wake up feeling that way every day, then there might be a bigger problem!

So, back to the weekend. Tomorrow is my REST day (and I need it!). I'm thinking I will do a 90 minute long run Saturday on the Tow Path. The Tow Path is AMAZING and I haven't made it out there in quite a while, so I'm looking forward to it! So, that means I'll be skipping the 5K in Westlake. If I'm feeling it, I'll do the 10K that's going on in my neighborhood Sunday. We shall see!!

Related to my blog today, I'll end with one of my favorite quotes:

"The pain is temporary. It may last a minute, an hour, a day, or a year, but eventually it subsides. And when it does, something else takes its place, and that thing might be called a greater space for happiness. Each time we overcome pain, I believe that we grow." ~ Lance Armstrong

2 comments:

  1. That was a funny pic :) Hal Higdon's uses the walking breaks? Do you find that helpful? I did hills at the gym today for 45 minutes...we had thunderstorms here so decided to run indoors. I also added another running day to my schedule- making it 4x a week. Do you do any weight training? Happy rest day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use walking breaks, nor have I in any of my training or racing. For me personally, stopping makes it much harder to pick back up! I usually will decrease to a light jog if at all necessary, but never stop to walk. Others don't agree, so do what works for you.

    I don't do any weight training, but it's recommended that you do about twice a week. Schedule it in on your easy days if you can.

    Hills at the gym!?! I wish my gym had that! Boston hill training in the ice and snow was VERY difficult and dangerous here in Cleveland. I did some hill training on the treadmill which was def. challenging and better than no hill training at all, but wasn't ideal.

    Thanks...I def. need the rest day!! :-D

    ReplyDelete