Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saturday- Coooooooooool long run!

In the minds of most people, 63 degrees and cloudy is a miserable Saturday morning in June. For runners, it's GLORIOUS! Considering how sticky and humid my long run was last weekend, I was happy to get in a comfortable, solid long run. I made it out to the Tow Path this morning for the first time since last summer. I've missed it SO much! It's beautiful, flat, and there is no traffic/stop lights to worry about! I ran 11.27 miles, with a 7:59min/mi average, in 90 minutes. That's right around the pace I plan to run my long runs for my NYC training. I'm going to vary my long run locations, but ideally, I'd like to do them in locations that have some hills. From what I've heard, it's a pretty challenging marathon that ends with rolling hills through Central Park. I want to be as prepared as possible, so I will try to incorporate as many hills as I can find into my long runs. The long runs are the most similar workouts to the marathon itself. So, it's best to plan your long run courses to be as close as possible to the actual marathon course.

While I was on the Tow Path, I was doing some thinking. As some of my readers know, I ran Boston this past spring. It was truly AMAZING, and I had concerns that running it again might take away from the greatness of my first time experience. However, I qualified for Boston again at Boston, and also at the Marine Corps in October. I feel like if I don't do it again this spring, I'll feel left out and regret not participating in one of the finest events in the entire world that I qualified to be at! So, as long as the registration is still open when I can register on day 5 (I ran 3:30:15 at the Marine Corps, which puts me in the "fives minutes or faster than qualifying time" wave for registration), I'm doing it! For those of you unaware, Boston established a new registration system to ensure the fastest runners can register first. Boston registration closed out in 8 hours this past fall, so they designed this new system to keep Boston the quality marathon that it is!! For more info: http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/register.aspx

SOOOO with Boston in mind, I REALLY hope I rock a sub 3:20 at NYC in November. That will pop me back in Wave 1 in Boston. In the past, you have until February 1 to submit a faster time to get into a higher wave. I hope that still applies. Otherwise, Wave 2 will suffice!

Tomorrow, I'll be running "A Most Excellent Race" 10K here in CLE Heights. I'm hoping to run at least a 6:50min/mi average. With all of the racing I've done over the years, I've somehow never run a 10K so I'm not sure what to expect! I'm not thinking I will have any 1st place trophies after this one, lol...anything around 42 minutes will make me happy!!

Today, I'll end with an excellent quote that proved to be true when I qualified for Boston for the first time back in 2010: "You can have anything you want, if you want it badly enough"~Abraham Lincoln :-D

3 comments:

  1. MP...Have a great race today.

    I'm so happy to have encountered your blog through the NYC Marathon Facebook page. Why was I was surfing the NYC Marathon page? Because I'm not running it this year and...feeling left out. So yes, my advice is to do Boston!

    I ran NY last year, was my first marathon. I finished in 4:17 so I'm completely inspired by your ability to train and reduce your time so dramatically. I'm incorporating speedwork into my regime, taking note of your tablet and Hal Higdon's plan.

    I ran the Milan (Italy) marathon in April and it was a challenging day with temps approaching 90F. I finished in 4:34....NOT the right direction. So now I have the fire to improve in a fall race. Currently, I'm registered for the Athens Marathon, but really deciding if this is the right race for me.

    Anyway, to answer your question....train hills when you can. The bridges are not so difficult and the diversion is good. For the hills in Central Park...not a big deal. For goodness sakes, nothing on the course is like Heartbreak Hill. NYC...you're in for a great treat. Nothing like it.

    Look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY support you running Boston again... so I can come watch again! I need someone to video running across the finish line. This time, take the day off after and stay a night so we can celebrate :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Amy!! I appreciate the NYC course tips. The hills in Boston kicked my butt, so I'm doing what I can to be as prepared as possible for NYC. Good to hear the hills aren't nearly as challenging! And, I'm def. in for Boston again!! Thanks for the support! :-D

    ReplyDelete