Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday- Beautiful Tempo Run

This afternoon, I ran a wonderful 35 minute tempo run! Tempos are my favorite workout. When running a tempo, you start out at an easy pace, gradually pick up to slightly faster than marathon pace (occassionally 10K pace) and hold that for a while (relative to the total length of your tempo), and then gradually decelerate back to an easy pace for the remaining time of your run. For my tempo run today, I ran 10 minutes at an easy pace (~8:00min/mi), then about 5 minutes at marathon pace (~7:30min/mi), and then picked it up to ~7:00min/mi pace (was feeling ~6:50min/mi but held back to not over-do it...that's not the purpose of these workouts!!) for 15 minutes, then slowed it back down to an ~8:00min/mi pace for the last 5 minutes to cool down. Overall, I covered 4.62 miles and averaged a 7:35min/mi pace. I was feeling very reflective of why I love running throughout this workout...nothing else helps me clear my head and make me appreciate life quite like it!  As soon as I got home, I drank some cool water, stretched, did a few crunches, and will be heading over to Liquid Planet to get a smoothie after I finish this up!!

In case you are wondering how I am able to determine my time/pace/distance, it's with my Garmin Forerunner. If you do not yet have one, get one!! It's a great investment, and a key component to being a successful, smart runner. My beautiful and amazingly supportive little sister got it for my birthday and I can't imagine running without it. LOVE IT!
Garmin Forerunner (don't leave home without it!!)
Okay, so here is my run-down for the week (makes me think of Jim and Charles Minor from The Office heheee). Keep in mind that this is my "off" training before I officially begin my NYC Training. This comes from Hal Higdon's Marathon Training Recovery Plan (http://www.halhigdon.com/):

Monday: 40 minute cross-train (this is supposed to be a 5 mile easy run, but I recommend STRONGLY that you do cross-training while you train. It helps develop and strengthened muscles you don't work when running, and gives your body a break from the pounding that comes from running. It still should be done with intensity or it loses its purpose!!)
Tuesday: 8X400 on the track
Wednesday: easy 5 miles
Thursday: 3 X 1 mile at 5K pace (...I'm thinking I'm going to run a 5K or 10K this weekend and I'll just swap this with my Sunday workout. I'll keep ya updated!)
Friday: REST!
Saturday: 90 minute long run
Sunday: 40 min tempo

Just 139 days until the NYC Marathon!!!!!!!! :-D

4 comments:

  1. Found your blog through the ING NYC Marathon Facebook page; it's my first marathon & I'm running it this year!

    I've ran a couple of halfs, but am not a fast runner by any means. I just started training w/ Hal Higdon's Novice plan, I've heard I should incorporate tempo & track runs into training -- what do you recommend?

    I have a Garmin, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a Garmin, then you are on the right track!!! Congrats on training for your first marathon! It will be a challenging, invigorating, amazing experience.

    You should absolutely include the tempo and track workouts into your marathon training. Then, you can stop saying you are "not a fast runner by any means!!" Doing these workouts will help give you the speed you need to successfully complete the marathon (and increase your half marathon time!). Follow Hal's advice and tips in his detailed daily running plan regarding the length and type of tempo and track workouts you should be doing throughout the 18 weeks. Most runners new to these workouts are fearful of injury. But, in my opinion, you can't let this fear hold you back. As long as you stretch, take it easy on the "easy" days and rest on the "rest" days, you should be good to go!!! GOOD LUCK and feel free to ask any questions as you go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MP, your Garmin has a heart rate monitor, right? Do you monitor your HR when you are training? I was talking to a guy after the race Sunday about this, and I have read in a few books that monitoring your HR is important. Thoughts? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. J.Duff~ It does! I don't monitor my heart rate, but you should. It's important that you increase your heart rate during training to stengthen you cardiac muscle, build endurace, and burn calories. However, if you heart rate stays raised for an extended period of time (for example, if you wake up in the morning and your heart rate is significantly above your normal resting heart rate), that could be an indicator of over-training. So, in summary, you should do it! :-D

    ReplyDelete