Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wednesday- 5 mile easssssssy run

80 degrees and sunny...no complaints here! Today was my 5 mile easy run after my speed work yesterday. I decided to run around the course of the "A Most Excellent Race," which is going to be held in my neighborhood on Sunday. It's a 5K loop that is absolutely beautiful and pretty flat. If it were on Saturday, and I'd absolutely commit to it. Sunday tune-up races (which will be scheduled into my training over my 18 weeks NYC training) can be tricky. I call them "tune-up" because I pretty much to do them as a part of my training for the finale- THE MARATHON! Anywho, when these races are on Sundays, I have to shuffle around my long run so I still get it in without exhausting my legs prior to the race (I always put in 110% when I run races...I'm too competitive to hold back!!!). That usually means I complete my long run after the race, which I have mixed feelings about. Your muscles are pretty strained after a race, and usually your adrenaline is up so you don't necessarily feel the effects until later that night or the next day. So, you might put out more than you should running a long run after racing. If I have the option, I'd rather run a tune-up race on Saturday and run my long run Sunday. When it comes to the Marathon, I prefer Sunday (or Monday for Boston, WOO!) so I have Friday and Saturday to rest up!

So back to today! I completed my 5 miles in 38:40, and averaged a 7:44min/mi. That's slightly faster than I should have ran considering this is my "easy" run. I like to stay a little under 40 minutes for my 5-mile easy runs, so I should have held back a little bit. My feet were feeling sore as I was running, which I think is a sign that it's time for some new shoes!! I'll be heading to Fleet Feet in Northfield next Friday to get a new pair of Mizunos! I usually buy new shoes at the beginning of my 18 weeks, and wear them through my training to the marathon. Some people buy two pairs of shoes and alternate them as they train, which might be a good idea. That's a little too pricey for me! I've been wearing Mizunos for every marathon I've run. I LOVE 'EM!!

I got home, stretched, did a little pilates, and had a delicious dinner of whole wheat ravioli, red potatoes with corn and green beans, and a big spinach salad! My feet are up now (still a little sore...) and I will be relaxing for the rest of the night! Tomorrow, I'll be running a 40 minute tempo run. This is the run originally scheduled for Sunday. Since I will be running the Westlake 5K Saturday (I think I've made up my mind!), this race will replace the 3X 1mile at 5k pace that I was supposed to do tomorrow.  Later y'all!! :-D

4 comments:

  1. What training program are you going to use for your NYC training? Do you have a goal finish time? I would LOVE to go sub-3:20, eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using Hal Higdon's advanced-2 to get ready for NYC. I'm hoping to finish under 3:20. I've heard the course is pretty challenging, and the demands of out-of-town marathoning always pay their toll, but I'm confident I can back to where I was in Spring 2010!!! Be confident in your goal...you can do it!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy reading your blog and also learning a few things. Do you use a HR monitor? Are you going to run more than 20 miles on your long runs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it! I don't monitor my heart rate, but you should. It's important that you increase your heart rate during training to stengthen you cardiac muscle, build endurace, and burn calories. However, if you heart rate stays raised for an extended period of time (for example, if you wake up in the morning and your heart rate is significantly above your normal resting heart rate), that could be an indicator of over-training.

    I won't be running more than 20 miles on my long runs. Any more than 20 on a training run is putting yourself at risk of injury and/or exhaustion. The purpose of the 20 miler is to build the endurance necessary to complete the marathon. Research shows that anything over 20 miles has no significant difference than just completing 20. However, it may be beneficial to prepare you for the mental struggles that may come after mile 20. But truthfully, there is no way to predict exactly how you will feel for the last six miles. That's the excitement of the marathon!!

    ReplyDelete