Sunday, July 10, 2011

Week 1: Saturday/Sunday- finishin' it up!

SORRY I didn't get the chance to blog yesterday. I had a busy day and didn't have enough time to sit down and reflect on my long run.  I really don't have much time now either...I have a lot of chemistry homework to get to for class tomorrow. But, blogging is a much more appealing option at the moment. :-)

I must say, my long run yesterday was fantastic! I met up with my friend Jen to get in a good 10 miler on the Tow Path. We started on a part that I don't normally run on unless I'm running longer than 16 miles because I usually start farther up north. Now that it's summer and  my schedule is a little bit more flexible, I don't mind driving up to the Tow Path to get in my long run. Once fall starts, it might be a little bit more of  a challenge. But, it's so worth it to run out there. It's so beautiful, clean, and most importantly, safe. Plus, I LOVED running with Jen! Although we didn't run side-by-side the entire time, it was fun to have someone I could chat with before and after. She's such a great model of perseverance and determination...I don't think it's possible for anything to get in the way of what she wants. You're awesome, Jen, and you WILL qualify for Boston! :-)

My Garmin was not vibin' this new starting point on the Tow Path, and for whatever reason, took about a mile to acclimate. Since I really didn't feel like I had much faith in my Garmin, I decided for the first few miles I'd just run according to "feel." I didn't want to push it, but I didn't want to hold back too much either. Once my Garmin picked up, I was around a 7:30-7:40 pace. I decided to just stick to it for the rest of the 10. I was feelin' good, and I wasn't going 10K pace, or even 1/2 pace, so I wasn't concerned about over doing it. Towards the last few miles, the heat and humidity of the day started to kick in and I had to push to finish strong. I always, no matter what the conditions or how I feel, try to run the last part of my run the hardest. That's how I like to race as well. Once all was done, I ran my 10 miles in 1:16:00, 7:36min/mi pace. I hung out and chatted with Jen for a bit, did some stretching, drove home (got lost bc I'm a MORON), got in a little pool time, then got ready super quick to have a night out with the fam in DT Cleveland!
Progressive Field watching the Indian's play!

Me and sista!


Today, I did 30 minutes of cross-training on the elliptical and pilates (post-beer workouts are the WORST, but I did it!)

My plan for Week 2 is as follows (Based off of Hal Higdon's Advanced-2 Marathon Training Plan):

Monday: 30 minute tempo
Tuesday: 3 mile easy
Wednesday: 3 mile pace
Thursday: 5 mile easy (on Johnnycake course, hopefully!)
Friday: 11 miles
Saturday: rest
Sunday: Johnnycake Jog 5 miler

I've modified my week slightly to accommodate for the race I will be running on Sunday in Mentor. It's the Johnnycake Jog 5 miler, which is one of the most competitive short-distance races I've participated in. I'm READY for a little butt kicking, and hoping to get under 34 minutes!! I'm SO excited because my little brother will be running the 5K, too!!! WOO HOO!

Happy training everyone!!! 17 weeks til NYC!! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! I look forward to checking in on your entertaining stories. I'm looking for sun 3:20 as well and hope that you accomplish your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dean! I hope you do as well!!

    ReplyDelete