Friday, July 8, 2011

Week 1: Friday- Restin' and reflectin'

These days are certainly the toughest. Beautiful and sunny accompanied by a light breeze. And, as odds would have it, it's my rest day. I was faithful to my body and resisted the running temptation. I have an amazing experience awaiting me in less than 18 weeks, and to get there I need to stick to my plan!


I made a very important purchase today that I recommend for ALL runners, bikers, and triathletes. It's called Road ID, and it's simply an identification bracelet. For as simple as it is, it's VERY important to have because you really never know what can happen when participating in a long distance event or in training. I never thought I needed to worry about anything happening to me while running, and I unfortunately had to learn the hard way that unpredictable things do happen. Back in March, I was getting ready for my Tuesday 5 mile easy run and was just not feeling 110%. I already had a banana and a granola bar on my way home from work, but decided to have an extra banana before I left to boost my energy level. It didn't work. As I was rounding mile 2 near Shaker Square, I started feeling worse. I felt dizzy, my legs got very heavy, I was seeing black spots, and I knew something was really wrong. I used my marathon "keep pushing" mentality, and the next thing I knew I was on a stretcher in the back of an ambulance. I was SO out of it and completely disoriented. The paramedics were asking me simple questions, like "what's the date? where do you live? who can we contact?" I was beyond frustrated with the paramedics because I could not answer their questions...I have no idea why but I just had no clue. I was insisting that they let me go and that I was fine, until one of the paramedics snapped at me and said, "How can we let you go if you don't even know where you live? We received multiple phone calls from people who saw you running past Shaker Square and thought you looked disoriented. Plus, we're really concerned because the doctor that found you thinks you had a seizure." I said, "What doctor?" And they said "ARE YOU SERIOUS? You were up and talking to him when we came." A good Samaritan doctor came to my rescue when I blacked out, and I had NO memory of this. Finally, I was sold on going to the hospital. Once I had an IV put in, my memory came back and I FINALLY remembered my parents number to have them meet me at the hospital. My chin was black and blue, and apparently I went down face first. No memory of it. :-( The doctors ran every test imaginable, and the only real conclusion that they could come to was that I was sodium-deficient. They think I had experienced a condition that results from overhydration. Whether or not this is the case, it was a wake up call for me. What if my memory didn't come back and I couldnt' get a hold of my parents? What would happen if I got hit by a car? What if I was out of state? I've been putting this important purchase off, but now those scary questions are answered because I will always wear my Road ID! I got the Wrist slim version http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID#42. Get it, if anything, to put your family's mind at ease!! They will appreciate it (...my Mom will officially stop harassing me over it, lol).

SoOoOoO anywho, I'm feeling good and carb'ed up for my A.M. 10 mile long run on the Tow Path tomorrow with my friend Jen! Weather is looking good, and I'm planning on sticking around an 8:00min/mi pace. No races this weekend, so I'm excited for a flexible, social weekend!!! WOO HOO!!!!!! :-D

3 comments:

  1. Hi MP- Scary story! My husband is always asking me to bring my cell phone and I just refuse...too much to carry:(( I will add the bracelet to my "To do" list. Have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! I know, I feel the same way!! I hate bulk when I run. Def. add it to your 'to list'...for your husband, if anything! Have a great week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *oooooops typo- 'to do' list!

    ReplyDelete