Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Week 3: Wednesday- Tempo run UNPLUGGED

Wow, the title to this blog entry sounds DEEP. Like you're about to find out what happens...when people stop being polite, and start getting real...

UGH, NOPE! Just ran without my Ipod today. Haaaaaaaaaaa! But, I'm proud! Two days of running totally unplugged, and both were great workouts! I'm sure my blog entries over the past few days are quite ridiculous to some. You may be thinking, "Why the heck is it such a big deal to run without an Ipod?" I think that's a great question. The best answer I can give is that it's one more step for me in the direction of becoming a "pretty good" runner, and eventually becoming a "GREAT!" runner. I've been sitting comfortably as a "good" runner for awhile now, and it's time to take it up a notch! I have the determination, will-power, and confidence to do whatever it takes to be a "GREAT!" runner. When I'm a lil old lady telling my grandkids stories of my running career, I don't want to say,  "Well, if I..." I rather it be statements of "I did..." So, the time is NOW to take the steps I need to become a better MP :-D. Running without the dependence of good tunes, but relying on my own inner running spirit, is a good start!

I covered 4 miles in my 30 minute tempo today. I did the usual 10 minute warm up, but did more of a gradual acceleration and ran 5 minutes at about a 7:20ish pace, ran 10 minutes at a 6:50ish pace, and then did a 5 minute cool down back home. I did this in the a.m., and it was HOT. I was literally glistening in sweat when I got home (gross, sorry for the over-share) and I was dripping all over the place. I had some cold water, got in some pilates, and went to class. Working out is the BEST start to the day...I wish I could do it during the school year. But, for now, I'll save the 4am workouts for the day I have kiddos. :-)

Tomorrow, I have a 6 mile pace run. I will be up EARLY, and this run will also be UNPLUGGED! I'll let you know how it goes.

My weekend plans include a rest day Friday followed by the Strongsville CLE Clinic 5K Saturday and 8 miles on the Tow Path. WOO! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! I of course never ran with music during my high school and college cross country days, but the minute I wasn't training with my team I put on my headphones. I wore them for my first marathon back 2004. After that some races were not allowing headphones, so I just stopped using them. What helped me get over the initial hump was reflecting on all of the years I ran without music, and all of the greats before us never ran with any music, and the elites don't now. I will never be an elite runner, but I figure if they can do it with more mileage than I certainly can. After the first few weeks I didn't miss it and I will never go back. There is nothing like running a marathon sans headphones, it's so, so, so incredible. Great job going cold turkey! And great workouts speedy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Molly!! My biggest challenge will come with racing without an Ipod. I will be much more aware of my surroundings, which is going to be great, but the challenge for me will come with the intensity of other people breathing, LOL. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I feel it's going to take getting used to. Do you find that annoying? Or are you just used to it? I'm optimistic that if I can get used to sweaty boys dripping all over the place, I can get used to heavy breathing haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across your blog and it's great! I think you'll find you improve a lot when you start running ipodless. I stopped using mine except for occasionally on the treadmill and I improved leaps and bounds. I can't even imagine using it outside any more! Good luck and keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless I am running shoulder to shoulder with someone, or they are coming up from behind and are REALLY loud, I don't really notice anyone else's breathing. But I think earlier on in high school when training with others, the sound of other's breathing would throw me off a bit. I think it's just something that takes a little getting used to. But if you run faster than everyone, you don't have to worry about hearing their breathing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAAA! Yes, just more motivation to go fast!! This Ipod-less running is proving to be more beneficial than I expected! Thanks for the feedback, ladies!! :-D

    ReplyDelete