Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week 3: Wrappin' it up!

Well, well, WELL! Another week of training for the NYC Marathon is DONE! It's hard to believe I will be beginning my fourth week as of tomorrow. Time is so hard to keep up with lately...it just keeps FLYING by faster and faster (...and hopefullly my race times will be, too! heheee)

I had a great week despite the extreme temperatures we've all been faced with...untilllllll the end of this week. My pace work out Thursday was my most challenging and turned out awesome...untilllllll after. As I blogged about Thursday, I was faced with a terrible migraine post-run and I thought I had recovered from it rather quickly (a few hours). But when I woke up Friday morning, I just didn't feel right. My stomach was SUPER queasy and I still had a head ache. I pretty much laid-low all day, and decided later that evening that a 5K Saturday was pushing it. I just ran a 5 miler Sunday, had a great training week, and didn't HAVE to race this weekend. But, I still set the alarm for 6am in case I changed my mind Saturday morning. I'm a pretty indecisive girl and like to keep my options open! ;-)

When the alarm went off at 6am, I was COMPLETELY unmotivated to race. My stomach was feeling worse (like I had been riding a spinning amusement park ride all night), and I decided I would just keep it to my scheduled 8 miles. Plus, I was 3 pounds lighter today which made NO sense considering I didn't run the day prior. Hmmmm? I also decided to keep the 8 miler as close to an 8:00min/mi pace as possible, since I just did a 6 mile pace run and I was not feeling good at all. I did my normal pre-run routine, laced up the shoes, and was out the door! And, again, NO IPOD!!!! The run was comfortable and relaxing at times, and at other times I was trying very hard to not get sick while running. Unfortunately, by mile 4, the illness took over (I won't share any of the details...YOU'RE WELCOME!!). Needless to say, it made the last four miles VERY uncomfortable. I kept a solid pace despite feeling awful, and pushed a big hill as I finished up the 8 miles. I finished in 1:04:07, 8:01min/mi. I was happy I was able to stay at my planned pace, but worried that I may be sick. I can run with just about any illness, but stomach viruses are the WORST. I pretty much felt yucky all day Saturday, but my spirits went WAY UP when I got the news that my sister and soon-to-be-brother-in-law got engaged!!!!

I woke up this morning feeling a bit better, but still not 110%. My stomach is just super queasy...I don't know what the problem is!!! I still managed a solid 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by Pilates. My total mileage this week is 25 miles, and my total overall mileage is 83.05. Overall, I feel that these three weeks have been quality training and lots of intensity despite being faced with multiple challenges. I just have to keep this going for the next 15 weeks!!!

I'm VERY excited to start Week 4 of my training and am hoping my stomach will be back to 110%! I'll be stepping it up this week...and feeling TOTALLY ready for it!!!

Here is my NYC Marathon Training Week 4 Run-Down (based off of Hal Higdon's Advanced-2 Marathon Training Plan: www.halhigdon.com):

Monday: 4Xhill
Tuesday: 3 miles easy
Wednesday: 35 minute tempo
Thursday: 6 mile pace
Friday: rest
Saturday: 13 miles
Sunday: 30 minute elliptical

Happy Training Everyone!! :-D

2 comments:

  1. Be sure to tell Kristen I say congrats! I saw the profile picture and thought maybe it was a hint to her bf lol. That's so exciting and she looks so happy.
    Stomach viruses are the worst. And I have been hearing about a lot of them lately, so hopefully it is not someting that is going around

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe thanks, Jess!!! I will!!

    And, yes, I've heard there is a stomach virus going around. BOOOO!! I'm starting to feel a lot better though...thank God!

    ReplyDelete