Monday, July 25, 2011

Week 4: Monday- Hillin'it up!

The Monday that begins every 3 weeks of my NYC Marathon Training is dedicated to HILLS! Today, I was scheduled 4 X hill. I went back to the same hill I ran on during my first hill session three weeks ago. It's a steep climb that's a little under 400 meters long, accompanied by a sidewalk, lots of spectators, and has got a certain "je ne sais quoi." I'm totally digging it! It leads into Little Italy, which has such great energy and spunk. It makes the workout much more manageable!!

I've been struck by a stomach bug, as I discussed in my last blog, that is still somewhat lingering. I'm feeling MUCH better today, but I still have a little queasiness and a headache. I decided to make this a night run, so I can give myself the day to feel a bit better. It turned out to be a great choice! After an entire afternoon and early evening consumed by chemistry, I was ready to for a release. I wanted to run this workout with tenacity...EXACTLY how I want to face hills in races! I always back off too much on hills, and need to have confidence in my own strength. I'm hoping that putting 110% into these workouts will give me the strength I need for a much needed hill confidence boost!!

I did a 1.5 mile light jog warm up to the hill, and then I was off!! My first hill was the toughest because I was a little stiff, and averaged around a 7:30 min/mi. My second was much better, and I averaged around a 6:50 min/mi. My third was also around a 6:50min/mi, and I had a strong finish with my fourth around a 6:40 min/mi! WOOP! People were definitely looking at me like I was a crazy person while I was doing my hill repeats. I guess it is kinda weird-looking to see someone running up a hill like she is running for her life, just to see her gently jog down and do it all over again hahaaaaa! And, I must say, I'm PROUD to be a crazy runner :-)

I did a 1.5 mile light jog back home, did a little stretching, and then ate dinner. I'm planning on doing Pilates at some point this evening, but I want to let my stomach settle before I attempt it.

OH and for all potential Boston 2012ers, Boston made a calculator to let you know when you can register with their new efficient, quality-ensuring, wave registration process! You can find it on their official website: www.baa.org. After my 3:18 at CLE in 2010, I definitely took my marathoning down a notch and this may prevent me from getting in this time around. I didn't think I'd want to run Boston more than once, and even immediately after Boston I wasn't sure. It was such an awesome first time  experience, and I didn't want to taint that. Butttttt as all of the runners at Boston warned me, just a few weeks after the marathon...I wanted to be part of it again! SOOOO here's my situation:  I ran a cozy, not-pushing-the-limits 3:30:15 at Marine Corps last October (and 3:35 at Boston this spring), which only puts me in the "five minutes or faster" registration wave. I can't imagine that it will fill up before I can register, but there is no way of predicting how quickly the race cap is going to be reached with this new registration process. I'm putting my faith in fate...if it's meant to be, I'll run it. If it's not meant to be, I'll run CLE again and set out for a speedy 26.2!!

Life is too short to be anything but an optimist. Happy Monday everyone!!! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I would run Boston Every year if I could afford it....and if I qualified. I loved it so much. I thought I would be ok not running it in 2011 (and 2012) but I missed it so much.

    ReplyDelete