Sunday, July 31, 2011

Week 4: Sunday- Wud up 13 miler

Week 4: COMPLETE!!

I finished this week of NYC marathon training with 13 miles on the Tow Path. I’ve started to become desensitized to mileage, since I think it’s fair to say that I’d be considered a “marathoner” at this point in my running career. It’s crazy to believe, but I’ll be running my 7th and 8th marathons this fall!! :-)  I went into this workout thinking “ahhhhh easy 13 miler” and left thinking “owwwwwwwwww my legs hurt!” My legs were pretty stiff from the 5K yesterday, so I decided to do the run at noon instead of the early AM to let them warm up a bit. I knew I was risking unfavorable weather conditions, but was willing to suffer through it.


It was definitely hot and humid when noon time came around. Overall, the run was difficult mainly because I underestimated it. My legs were stiff just about the entire time, and my back hurt for a bit around mile 5. The back pain eventually subsided, but my legs just never warmed up. I was hoping for at least a strong finish with the last three miles. I had a strong finish, but it took a lot more “oomph” than should have been necessary. I ended up running EXACTLY what I wanted to (1:43:56, 8:00min/mi pace), oddly enough, but I wasn’t satisfied with the amount of effort that I needed to put in. Plus, I was DEAD when I was finished and my legs hurt A LOT. I finished feeling like this should have been an easier workout, especially considering the pace I was running. But the truth is, as I said earlier, I’ve trained for 6 marathons now and 13 miles just sounds easy in comparison to the mileage I’ve covered and that I will be covering in the next few weeks. However, it is 13 miles!!! When I referred to it as “easy,” my sis pointed out that it’s the amount of miles she drives to work every day… we shared a good chuckle over my insanity! Hahaaa…  I’m glad I rocked the 5K Saturday, but with the intensity I’ve put in with the hill training, tempo,  pace run, and 5K race this week, I think I burned myself out for the most important workout of all: THE LONG RUN!! The run that most closely simulates the marathon itself.  I need to take these workouts more seriously. I’ve been mentally blowing them off, and today I felt it. Absolutely not a good feeling!

I have 14 miles on the schedule for next Saturday, and I will be doing it with a GOOD rest day on Friday.  I have a 10 mile race scheduled for August 14, and right now, I don’t feel like I’m ready to run my best 10miler. It’s time to get my long-distance running act together!!! 

So, despite a challenging finish to the week, it was a good one! I covered 34.79 miles this week and a total 117.84 miles over the past 4 weeks. 

My plan for Week 5 in my NYC Marathon Training (based off of Hal Higdon’s Advanced-2 Marathon Training Plan):
Monday: 3 miles easy
Tuesday: 35 tempo
Wednesday: 3 mile pace
Thursday: 7 miles
Friday: REST!
Saturday: 14 miles
Sunday: 30 minute cross training

97 days until NYC!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment