Friday, August 5, 2011

Week 5: Thursday: Blood, [some] Sweat, NO Tears


Blood-

I knew as soon as I started my 7 mile run yesterday that my right ankle was somewhat irritated. It wasn’t until I got home that I realized that my cute pink running shoes were covered with blood, and that this little irritation was a huge abrasion. OWWWWWWWW! 


[some] Sweat-

FINALLY, a Thursday run that’s nice and cool!! AHHHH it was SO beautiful! It’s amazing how much the heat/humidity takes out of us, and how little credit we give ourselves for bearing through the horrendous conditions. Most of the month of July was like running on a treadmill in a sauna. But, as all the running experts promised, it makes our body that much better conditioned for the cool conditions when they make their inevitable visit!

My Thursday 7 miler was not a pace workout this week, but a comfortable easy-does-it workout. I’m forcing myself to take full advantage of the easy days, and wanted to stick around an 8:00min/mi. I just wanted to enjoy this run and not worry too much about pace, even if I went a little slower than planned. And, that’s JUST what I did, but managed to freakishly run EXACTLY on pace….similar to my 13 miler on Sunday!! I finished in 56:00, EXACTLY an 8:00min/mi average. WEIRDDDD! The run went so well, that I didn’t even pay attention to the pain of my bloody ankle!! It was nice to come home and not be drenched in a torrential down pour of sweat, LOL!

NO Tears-

While I was running, I was doing a lot of reflecting on the past few weeks of training. I’ve been doing well, my fitness level is improving, my body is toning into great shape, and I’m loving all of the challenges that comes with advanced marathon training! After my 14 miler this weekend, I have the Perfect 10 miler race next weekend. My marathon training intensity will be full blast after the race…just in time for the beginning of the school year!!

I know my focus should just be the 26.2, but I REALLY want a 5K P.R. this summer. This weekend may be my last chance to snatch it. I’ve only run two flat 5Ks this summer, one of which I ran 19:38, and the other I CHOKED LBJ-style and ran 20:20ish. All the other 5Ks have been super hilly, and my times have all been right around 20 minutes. I can’t help but wonder what my times would be had they been flat courses...? I think what’s killing me the most is the 20:23 (the announcer said 19:34, then when the official results came  it said 20:01, and now it says 20:23...I have no clue what's right!!) I ran on Saturday at the Zoo. Although the course was super challenging and I was the first female by well over a minute, I don’t feel satisfied with my time. I want to prove to myself that I’m better than a 19:38. I’m going to give it one more try tomorrow at the Cleveland Clinic Independence 5K.  Judge me if you will, but I’m a crazy, dedicated, perfectionist driven to excellence. :-) Once my 5K P.R. is checked off my list, my focus will be STRICTLY 26.2!!

So the plan is Saturday: 5K. If I’m feeling it, I’ll do the 14 miles after. If I’m not feeling it, then I’ll either do the 14 Sunday or Monday. I will be 110% listening to my body for this one. Part of the convenience of being DONE with that chem course and having a few weeks of break before teaching starts is the flexibility in my schedule! Now, let’s just hope my beat up ankle holds up. Also, I’ve been having some upper-back pain. Fingers crossed my rest day today does the healing trick!!!

I’ll finish today with a quote by the sweetest little girl, wise beyond her years, that approached me at the pool while I was reading the latest issue of Runners’ World: “WHY DO ALL YA SKINNY PEOPLE THINK YA GOTTA BE RUNNING ALL THE TIME????” By the end of our conversation, she offered to buy me a hot dog hahahaaaaaaaaaa :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment