Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Week 7: Tuesday- The Aftermath on Hills--oWwWwW!


OW. That’s exactly how I feel. Sore. Beat up. OWWWWWWWW.

Fortunately, I have no serious injuries from the fall yesterday. My ankle is sore and bruised, but I can still run on it with minimal pain. My right arm hurts and it’s hard to lift, but it moves so I’m good! However, my entire body just HURTS. I feel super beat up. I know my fall from yesterday sounds a bit dramatic, but I came down HARD and I’m feelin’ it like WOAH. But, OBVIOUSLY, that didn’t stop me from my 5 X hill workout scheduled for today…:-)

I did some lesson planning up at school in the A.M, took care of some personal things in the afternoon, and made my hill workout an evening adventure. I spent some extra time doing some jumping jacks and stretches to loosen up my body prior to the run. 

I took it easy for my warm up, which was about 1.5 miles. My ankle felt tender and sore, but nothing super serious. My arm felt like it weighed 80 lbs and kind of threw off my momentum a bit. But, once I got to the hill all the pain went away. :-)

The first repeat was okay, and I was around a 7:30ish min/mi and picked it up closer to a 7:15ish mile as I got to the end. I had a small cheering section at the bottom of the hill for the second repeat, which boosted me all the way to a 6:20ish pace that I kept for most of the hill until I dropped to 6:40 near the top (I have no idea where that one came from!) The third and fourth were both around 7:10ish and I boosted it to 6:50 at the end. The fifth was the hardest and my mind wandered a bit as I started. I got caught up in the “this is HARD” thought and realized I was only at a 7:40 pace!!! I picked it up to 7:10 and told myself I wasn’t allowed to stop running until I hit 6:50. So, once I got to the top I ran about .10 more miles until I snatched it (after running a .25 steep hill, that is like running an extra 26.2 miles, LOL). I did a 1.25 mile cool down home totaling 5 miles. 

I was happy I completed my hill workout, but my normal aggressiveness when it comes to this challenge was a bit subdued. I like to finish this workout feeling like I OWNED those hills, but I feel more like “ehhhh I got it done.” Maybe I’m not giving myself enough credit for running on a SORE, beat up body.  Or maybe I gave myself too much credit and mentally cut myself out for the great workout I should have had. OH WELL…there’s no going back now!!

I’m currently laying on my coach, and I’m not sure if I can get up to shower. That is how sore I am right now. I feel like a fragile old woman. OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I have a 40 minute tempo scheduled for tomorrow. NO HOLDING BACK ALLOWED!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment