Sunday, September 11, 2011

Week 10: I've Got the MoOoOoves Like Jagger- River Run 1/2 Marathon ;-)

SUCCESS. It’s a great feeling. :-) But no one said it would be easy!

I woke up this morning at 5am chipper and ready to run. I was hoping for a P.R., with the possibility of a sub-1:30 in the back of my mind, but was really just looking forward to running my favorite 13.1 course with some fabulous people! My long run training buddy and coworker, Jen, was running with me along with another coworker, Kasie. They are such great, fun women so I was excited to be able to take part in this super fun event with them! SOOOOO, I did my normal pre-run routine before heading out the door, which included a brief catch-up of the Jersey Shore. I haven’t had much time (or willingness to sacrifice the time I do have) to watch those clowns depict some of the poorest characteristics of mankind, so I tuned in for a bit while I was getting ready. I must say, The Situations head-butt into a cement wall has got to be one of the most ridiculously hilarious things I’ve seen in while. What a d&^%bag. :-) When 6:25am rolled around, I turned off The Shore and headed out the door!

My tummy wasn’t feeling well once I got off the highway into Berea, so I made my first of several pit stops at a Burger King (reallllllly creepy morning crowd in there, LOL). It didn’t even occur to me that I should be concerned that this tummy ache may be a factor in the race, and mayyyyyybe that’s a good thing. Once I got to Wallace Lake, I got in a solid 2 mile warm–up, a few bathroom breaks (eeeeeeeek), and some stretching. Despite my GI issues, I was feeling calm, my legs felt energetic and spunky, and I was just excited to get out there! I also met up with Jen and Kasie before the run, which was the exact adrenaline boost I needed to make this an awesome race. They just had such fun, positive vibes that kept me distracted from over-analyzing my plan-of-attack on the course. I set my Garmin for a 6:55 mile pace, and just wanted to stay under 7:00. We had a moment of silence in memory of 9-11-01, and then off we all went! 

I stayed calm at just under a 6:50 pace for the first mile. The song “Moves Like Jagger” was stuck in my head and I LOVE that song! It’s got a certain je ne sais quoi that makes me want to grab a cute guy and start dancing hahaaaa! No, I didn’t do that, haaaaaaa. Maybe next race. :-)  But the rockin' mind tune was keeping me pumped, I was feeling good, and I knew this was going to be a great race! 

As I was passing into mile 2, I saw a guy running with a Leetonia singlet on. My Grandma, who passed when I was in kindergarten, grew up in Leetonia. She was the most hardworking, dedicated, and loving mother, wife, teacher, and human being, and I hope that I can be half the person she was some day. I pray to her often, and I was very overcome by emotion seeing that shirt. This was just another bit of motivation to make this race a great one, and just a reminder that I always have an angel over my shoulder no matter what…0:-)

Once I was into mile 3, I was in gear and I was just rolling with the 6:50 pace. GREAT feeling! Around this time, a girl I usually use to pace myself popped up to my side. She’s a solid runner that always runs at a consistent pace, so I was happy to see her! I filled her in on my plan, and we ended up running pretty much the rest of the race together. We chit-chatted a bit and have very similar race P.R.’s. Again, another reason I love running.  Runners are SERIOUSLY the nicest people in the world. I’m convinced that the key to world peace is running! :-) I’ve met so many amazing people through running. Also, a local running elite girl was running the race casually (yes, she still kicked my butt at her “easy” pace!) and she also was a huge help to my success at this race. She seemed so calm and in control, and motivated me to stick with my goal. She’s a truly phenomenal runner, and it’s so obvious she loves it. She’s SUCH an inspiration!! I will be cheering her on all the way to the Olympics! 

As soon as I got into mile 6, I could tell that the course mileage was way off (by at least .15 miles too long) and this was going to lose me time. My stomach was starting to feel super queasy, but I was feeling good everywhere else so I did my best to focus on everything else possible besides that. I kept trucking, and trucking, and suddenly mile 11 showed up. I was totally on and just had to seal the deal. I lost Rose around this point, and was feeling good enough to place Overall.  I was being informed of my status by bystanders and also other runners for most of the race, which was awesome (and another reason you shouldn’t race with headphones!). The men on the course, as always, were being super supportive. LOVE it! Then, as I got into mile 12, I knew I was golden for home…butttttt my stomach had some other plans. I knew something was going to come out in either direction (gross over-share, SORRY!), and I just had to get to a Port-A-Potty ASAP. There was NO way I was risking a P.R. to stop, so I went to the finish line sick as EVER. I’ve NEVER EVER been so ill at a race! As I was finishing up the last .25 mile, I really felt like I was going to humiliate myself. I was freaking out. There was a huge crowd at the end cheering me on and shouting my name, and I’M SO SO SORRY for not being more gracious. I was just SO FREAKED OUT. As soon as I crossed the finish line and they announced I was the 3rd overall female (HOLLA!!!), I booked it for a Port-A-Potty. Gosh that was miserable! BUT I DID P.R.! The official gun time was 1:30:08, and because I was an Overall finisher they didn’t recognized my chip time (LAME!!!). My Garmin said 1:29:25, and I know I had to have been under 1:30, so I’ll just keep that in mind. But, otherwise, 1:30:08, 6:53min/mi, is STILL a P.R.! Plus, it was super exciting to win 3rd female!!! 



So, YES, this race was a SUCCESS! Jen won our age group at 1:36, and Kasie rocked out Brown’s style in 2:00! I heard guys discussing how awesome Kasie was for sporting the Brown’s jersey the entire race, and I had to agree!!! I also got to see my friend and cousin-in-law, Jess!! She’s always such a smiling gem and makes my racing experience so much more fun!! OH, and I also saw Debbie! She rocked out as well, especially considered she ran a 50K the weekend before. You are amazing, Debbie!




SO, I’m very happy with the race, my fitness is better than I expected, and my attitude is where it needs to be! My total mileage this week is 42.81 and my overall mileage is 344.49.

Next week will be Week 11 in my NYC Marathon Training (based off of Hal Higdon’s Advanced-2 Marathon Training Plan):

Monday: 40 min cross-train
Tuesday: 45 tempo
Wednesday: 4 mile pace
Thursday: 10 miles easy
Friday: rest
Saturday: 20 miles
Sunday: 40 min cross-train

I can’t believe C-bus is only a few weeks away!!! I’m confident that no matter what the outcome is, it’s going to be another great experience to get me ready for NYC! 

I've Got the MoOoOoOves Like Jagger! (still in my head hahhaaa) HAPPY TRAINING EVERYONE!!

9 comments:

  1. Great race! Congrats on 3rd place!!! You can email Hermes to get your chip time and use it for p.r. purposes. They only include gun time for top 3. Which is a good policy, but it would still be nice if they published the chip times too!

    The other thing I've been meaning to tell you is that you're doing so amazingly well with such low mileage! I'd be interested to see what you could do with some consistent 60-plus weeks. You'd definitely be well on your way to meeting some of those lofty running goals, I bet!

    Keep up the good work. I'll see you in C-bus!

    PS That song is stuck in my head too! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much!!! I'm 90% sure you were the winner so CONGRATS to you!! I'd love to chat with you at the next race...you're such an amazing runner!

    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really torn on where I want to go with my running. I feel like I'd regret taking a break before I stepped it up, but I'm just very unsure right now. BLEH!

    I'm going to email Hermes now, thanks so much for the info!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! You are a rockstar! What a fantastic performance! Being a girl that never listens to music while she runs, part of me thinks that's part of your success! :) There are so many things the senses can tune into during a race, so glad you've decided to go headphones-free! Keep on keepin' on! I'm so excited to see what you can do in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that's me :) If you ever want to get together for a run or just want to talk a little more about where you want to take your running ( not that I'm an expert or anything, but definitely feel you with feeling torn about it sometimes), feel free to send me an email--thesaltyone at gmail. Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Molly!!!

    Laura, I would love to meet up for a run (although I'll be several minutes behind, hahaaa) and would appreciate your advice!! Thanks so much!! I'll be in touch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations! glad you made it to the finish without the pit stop! sounds like you are having fun and running strong! so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Elizabeth!!! I hope you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Merr Pat! So I wanted to let you know that I am running Columbus! My first full marathon :) Anne told me you were visiting her soon (birthday weekend I think) - have so much fun! Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HEY Christie!!! That's awesome!! I'm running Cbus, too, so I hope to see you there! Let me know if you have any questions with your training. GOOD LUCK!! :-D

    ReplyDelete