Sunday, March 4, 2012

No Stopping Us Right Now :-)

7 weeks down. Just 7 weeks until Boston, and 11 weeks until Cleveland. It feels as if no time has passed, yet so much has happened. January and February are always the busiest months of the year for me at work. Commencing marathon training in the midst of it is, simply put..as one would imagine…STRESSFUL. I've been doing my best to avoid the neglecting the things that REALLY matter, like family...
My baby nephew Tommy, MUAHHHH! :-)

However in addition to managing the stress of the new year, once again tragedies, as well as almost-tragic circumstances, have struck.  As difficult as it may be to find any answer to the question haunting most of us, “WHY?!?!”, I’ve done my best to be as supportive as possible to those around me and to focus on the positive message that underlies it all. Why this message needs to be SO incredibly LOUD I don’t understand. But, there’s no denying these tragedies reinforce the need for togetherness, empathy, compassion, and most importantly, love for one another AND ourselves. How long our life extends isn’t always up to us, but what we do while we are living IS up to us. We need to make the most of what we have, and focus on what we can do for others. It’s the little things we do that have the most significant impact. Who knows what impact something as simple as a smile can make on another? Most importantly, I think these circumstances help us better see the role of God in our lives. He opens the door for us, but we have to walk through it. Although God isn’t going to walk for us, He will be by our side the entire way. Never forget that. :-)



Okay, so despite all of the stress, how’s my training been going? Pretty good! Running has not been my primary focus, as I’ve been very busy with other things. I spent 6 days and 5 nights in Quebec in February, which turned out to be an amazing experience. I was pretty apprehensive the week leading into it, considering I was going to be chaperoning 50 middle school and high school kids. The trip began at 9pm on a Wednesday night with an overnight bus ride that led to a full day of exploration of the city of Montreal….no bed, no shower, no running. AHHH! I was so stressed prior to the trip that I ended up giving myself a MASSIVE migraine a few hours before we left. I’m a spaz. J But, as I said, the trip ended up being amazing and I did some really cool things---outdoor ice skating, dog sledding, tubing, to name a few highlights. Mainly, it was great to step outside of my comfort zone and go to a place I never would have visited otherwise. The world is a beautiful place. If there is an opportunity to see it, you must! I have a whole new perspective on many things as a result of my Quebec trip, and I’m so grateful I was able to seize that opportunity. And, no worries…I was up at 5am every morning to get my workouts in. This included a 3 mile easy run, a 3 mile pace run, a 10 miler, and an hour of cross-training, respectively. The treadmill in our hotel was terrible, AND in kilometers, but where there’s a will, there’s a way!!! Plus, I got to catch up on the hockey highlights on TSN. HAHAAAAAA! I’m pretty sure our tour guide thought I was crazy…and can you blame him??? J

I’ve been right on with my pace runs, hitting 7:15min/mi's on the pavement, and on the treadmill when the conditions have been less-than-ideal outdoors. I’ve completed 6 mile, 7 mile, and 8 mile pace runs over the past few weeks. These runs are not coming to me easily—I have to be very focused and in-tune with my pace the entire time. But, I’m successfully completing them and feel ready to P.R. at Cleveland this May. I also feel confident I will run a decent Boston, hoping to stick around 3:30. I recognize this goal is nothing fantastic, but my real goal for Boston is to enjoy the experience. It's an easy pace to get what I want out of the race without taking it too easy.
My longest long run so far was a 16 miler yesterday, which was REALLY hard. The wind gusts were up to 40mph, and I felt like I was aqua jogging  the majority of the run. I averaged an 8:09min/mi, which is over-pace for my usual 7:55-8:00min/mi long runs. But, with the intense wind, I was cautious to not over-do it. I am hoping to have a more successful 17 mile long run next weekend.
My upcoming race schedule includes the St. Malachi 5 miler on Saturday, March 10 and Just a Short Run ½ Marathon on Saturday, March 31. It doesn’t look like I’ll be able to squeeze in a 5k before Boston, but hopefully I’ll be able to get one in before Cleveland. I NEED a 5K P.R. badly. I just need to find the right day in my marathon training schedule and most importantly…the mental and physical stamina to do it. I’m still bummed about the 5K I choked in a few weeks ago. I WILL seek revenge on myself, and hopefully sooner than later!
Hotness!

I’ve got some hot new kicks, a positive outlook, and lots of energy going into the spring. I will try to blog more periodically than I have been, but can promise much considering March is yet another BUSY month. But, BUSY in a fun way. St. Patty’s Day is a whole month celebration for this lil Irish gal. J

To end my blog post today, it would only be appropriate to share my favorite Irish Blessing:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.





2 comments:

  1. Yay I'll get to see you at Malachi and and and BOSTON!!!! Cannot wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH YEAH YEAH!!! Can't wait either!! See ya Saturday! :-D

    ReplyDelete