Saturday, May 19, 2012

By The Way...


I'm not over YOU. :-D
I'd say that Gavin Degraw (sp) song that’s WAY overplayed on the radio outlines very well my longing for---racing! A few weeks were enough of a break for me, and after my 5k victory a few weeks ago I’ve officially broken my promise and am rolling back to where I was. My doctors have varying opinions on it, but the ultimate opinion that really matters is my own. I am a logical, self-aware lady and wouldn’t do anything to put my body in danger. I’m ready to get BACK!

I’m SO pumped to say that I’m less than 24 hours away from completing my 14th half marathon in the place where it all began—CLEVELAND! Yep, 4 years ago in May 2008, I completed my first race EVER—The Cleveland Half Marathon and now I’m up to 14. With a bit more experience under my belt, I’m feeling SO excited and anxious to be part of one of the best organized events Cleveland has to offer.

The forecast for tomorrow is sunny and 84. Clearly that’s a bit too warm for race day, but am I worrying about it? NOPE. After everything I’ve been through over the past few months, I’m just so happy that I’m able to be there.  Do I plan on adjusting my race plan according to this toasty weather forecast? NOPE. I had a salty Chipotle dinner last night with my bestie and CLE runner Jeness to get my sodium levels in gear, as encouraged by my doctors, and will be drinking lots of water today in addition to Gatorade to get my electrolyte levels in balance. As far as race gear goes, I contemplated going without a singlet to stay cool (rellllllllax sports bras actually count as shirts in the running world). Buttttt, my sis and I got matching singlets because we are just that cool (pun intended), so I will be rocking some vibrant Nike colors tomorrow if you’re looking for me (or my sis who looks like my identical twin)! 

So, what’s my race plan tomorrow, besides my ignorance to the forecasted temperatures? I’d ideally like to P.R. That would mean I’d need to run under 1:30:08. That would mean I’d need to run a 6:51min/mi…for each mile. I KNOW I can do that. I also KNOW my training has been pretty weak since my accident. I’ve been able to hit that pace on tempo runs for 20 minutes or so, but that’s about it. I haven’t run more than 13 miles in a long run since March. However I know I have it in me to crush 1:30, and I’m hoping that the race adrenaline and my inner confidence can get me there. But, I won’t be sweatin’ it too much if I fall short (although I’m sure I will be literally…bahahaaa I’m full of jokes today!) because I truly am just grateful to have the clearance to run it. Plus, if I don’t reach my goal, I have the opportunity to try again at the Canton ½ Marathon next month.

I plan to tweak my ½ marathon race strategy a bit this time around. I usually only use gels for marathons, but I’ll be bringing a few gels with me tomorrow. I think I’ll be only using one around the 10K mark, and have an additional in case I feel I need it. This may turn into a total bust, and I may be sick as a consequence. But, mayyyyybe this will help give me the extra energy boost I need to reach a P.R.?? Come this time tomorrow, I will know for sure!

Good luck to everyone out there running tomorrow!! If you have yet to have your Cleveland Experience, you are in for a treat. It’s a fun, beautiful, mostly flat course of one thee greatest cities in the world!! It generates a fun, diverse crowd and is a true synergy of a multitude of runners of various abilities. It’s beautiful to see how so many different kinds of people have the opportunity to reach their own set of goals, all at the same place and same time. I can’t think of any other sporting event that allows for that. Annnnnnnd this is one of the millions of reasons I LOVE running.  

So, yes, I have broken my promise to myself and am back to the grind. There will come a time in my life where running won’t be able to be a priority, and I don’t want to have any regrets of how I lived my young, single, child-less days. That being said, I just can’t seem to let you go racing, at least just yet. It is what it is.  So, no matter what I say, I’m not over YOU. J

2 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow!I'm pacing the 3:40 group in the marathon, it's gonna be a warm one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jordan!!! Good luck to you, too! :-D

    ReplyDelete