Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Week 3 Tow Path Marathon- Just Do It


Week 3 of my Tow Path Marathon Training was crazy busy, needless to say, as I was preparing and celebrating the marriage of my sister and her now husband! In between all of the craziness, of course, I got in my miles! When life's busy, running tends to take a back burner. It's more about just doing the miles than actually planning them out in the ideal way I'd like. So, in the madness that was week 3, here’s what I got out of it:

Monday: I had my much needed speed intervals, 4X800. I had errands to run in the morning, so I ended up doing this workout in the late morning heat and humidity. I probably should have just held off until the sunset, but I was worried something would have come up for the wedding that could have compromised that. So, I grabbed my water and was out the door into the sauna that was the great outdoors! Despite having no muscle soreness, my legs were definitely depleted from the weekend. Regardless, I pushed through each repeat trying to stay as close as possible to anything under a 6:10ish pace.  Following two 5ks in one week and a long run, I wasn’t too disappointed with the workout!

Tuesday: My designated cross-training day! I headed to the gym, and initially did a 1 mile light jog on the treadmill to get my muscles warmed up and my stomach in check. Morning weekday workouts are a big adjustment for me, since I tend to be more of a late-afternoon runner during the school year.  After my warm up, I did some stretching and crunches. I followed this up with 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the bike. I left the gym drenched in sweat---mission accomplished!

Wednesday: I had a 30 minute tempo on the schedule, and I had no choice but to get this one in early. In addition to an afternoon filled with wedding stuff, it was forecasted to be well into the 90s. I was out the door by 8:30am, which was not early enough! I’m not sure if it was the stress of the upcoming afternoon and weekend, my queasy stomach, lack of good sleep the night prior, or the heat, but this tempo was a challenge. I did a 10 minute warm up, and then eased into 15 minutes around a 6:40 pace, and then finished with a 5 minute cool down. I only ended up covering 3.82 miles, which is likely from playing it safe on the 6:40.

Thursday: 6 miles at marathon pace on a forecasted 90 degree+ day was on the agenda, and I was up bright and early for this one! I wanted to stay as close to a 7:15min/mi as possible, being that my last pace run was a tad fast at 7:08. I had to be at the airport at noon and my sister’s rehearsal was that evening, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to recover post-workout. Last year, I ended up having a massive migraine after this same exact workout on a hot day. I had NO TIME for a migraine, so I was out at the door at 7:30am. But, it was not early enough! It was very hot and uncomfortable, but the first mile and a half that are flat were okay. As soon as I started hitting the hills, my pace dropped dramatically. I couldn’t find it in me to push beyond what my body would give me, so I ended up sticking around 7:30 up until about mile 4. Once I hit the downhill, I picked the pace up again and tried to give as much as I could until I got home. I ended up finishing 44:14, 7:22min/mi. I was off my average mile, but not by much considering the heat. I felt okay after the run, but a few hours later felt VERY depleted. It didn’t lead to a migraine, but I took a nap in the afternoon and was good to go for the rehearsal! OH, and my big toe nail ended up falling off!

All six of us brothers and sisters-- crazy family, indeed! :-D
Sisters!
With the bride!

Bride and groom sandwich!


Friday: Although this is normally my day of rest, I used this as my long run day. I was not going to have time on Saturday to do this with the wedding, so I really didn’t have much of a choice. It was much cooler Friday morning, but still humid. I wanted to take this waaaaaay easy, since it was only 8 miles and I’ve had a few hard workouts over the last few weeks. I did just that for the majority of the run, but pushed hard the last 1.5 miles around a 6:20ish pace. I ended up running 1:04:11, averaging a 8:01min/mi. The pedicure ended up working out great! The guy just painted over the skin, and didn’t seem too grossed out by it. I guess they’re used to seeing crazy looking feet, lol.
Before pedicure...
...and after! Talk about a miracle haaa :-D

Saturday: Sister’s wedding! The weather was gorgeous, and it couldn’t have been more of a perfect day! My feet definitely took a beating with my fierce heels, but I got in some great cross-training with all of the dancing we did that night haaa!
Gorgeous bride!
Sisters!
Wedding party!


Add caption

Add caption
My baby nephew Tommy...
With the bride!!
Sisters with our fav Uncle Paul!

Sunday: OWwWwWwW. My feet were killing me, I was incredibly sleep-deprived, and out of balance. I ended up doing a late afternoon 5 mile easy run at 41:31, 8:18min/mi. Usually, running after a night of adult beverages helps to clear out my system. I had the opposite reaction, and just felt worse! I was in bed early, and not fully recovered until about Tuesday. YIKES!

I ended up covering 28.82 miles finishing up this week, and am looking forward to stepping it up in week 4! I have no strict plans this week, so my "just do it" mentality will not be driving my workouts. I also have no specific races on the agenda, and so I am looking forward to just getting in some good, hard training runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment