Sunday, December 1, 2013

Being Thankful


If you follow me on Twitter @PavMP223, you likely noticed my #Thanksgiving Tweets throughout the month of November. If not, I have listed my Tweets at the bottom of this blog post. I stole this idea from Facebook and thought it would be a great thing to share with the Twitterverse. I decided to commit myself to Tweeting daily affirmations of my gratitude of the varying degrees of blessings in my life. Initially, I was hesitant about making these affirmations public. I feared that I would appear pretentious or that I could potentially make others feel insecure. But the more I pondered the idea, I decided to stick with my good intentions, put aside my concerns, and hoped that I could use this as a teachable moment for myself and others. We are often so bogged down by the day-to-day things that it’s hard for us to have a clear view of the good in our lives. Whether it’s good things, people, circumstances, etc, it can get so easily muddled in the chaos of life. It was my hopes that my Thanksgiving Tweets would inspire others to stop for a few minutes each day, reflect, and be thankful. Because the truth is, no matter how difficult things may be, we are ALL blessed in our own individual ways.

Each day leading up to Thanksgiving, I spent time thinking about my blessings. Limiting myself to 140 characters per Tweet helped me to be direct and concise, but the task of putting my gratitude into words wasn’t always easy and at times felt tedious. However, doing so really forced me to be look at my life from a different perspective. I often find myself focusing on all of things I have yet to achieve, dreaming away and thinking of what I need to do reach all of my lofty goals. My prayers are far more often centered on asking God for things rather than thanking Him for all of the great He has already given me. Although it’s important to have dreams and to be goal oriented, it’s very easy to become confined by it all. When we are constantly directing our energy on what we want without taking time to be reflective on all the good that we have, we can get lost, fall into deep holes, and forget how to dig ourselves out.

 
Although it may seem trite, forcing myself to see my blessings more vividly empowers me! It gives me more hope for the future and more reasons to dream. It inspires me to want to give back to those who may not have my blessings. It shows that life really is about the little things, and these little things are the easiest to overlook. Most importantly, it proves that no matter how difficult things may be, we all have things to be grateful for. God forgets no one!

Thanksgiving is a great day to help us focus on all of our blessings, but we shouldn’t limit our thankfulness to one day. Instead, we should try to find it in ourselves to see the good we are blessed with each and every day. As we embark on the Holiday season, my challenge to you is to focus on being thankful. If we could all take some time to see our lives for the good it has in it, imagine how much greater our world could be. Perhaps the fears of rejection and failure that hold us back could be minimized, freeing us to live out our dreams and give the world our very best!


If you take anything from this blog post, I ask you to consider the most important yet simplest thing to be thankful for:  your life! You were given one for a very special reason. Strive to find out what that reason might be, because if you do so, the best is truly yet to come!

 

MP’s 28 days of #Thanksgiving Tweets:

Day 1: I'm thankful for the good in social media that connects people and ideas in a positive way!

 
Day 2: I'm thankful to have a super sweet, loving Mommy that supports me, understands me, & is always my biggest cheerleader!

Day 3: I'm grateful to have a reliable mode of transportation, w/ accessible gas I can afford, to take me anywhere anytime.

Day 4:I have a job I love that energizes me, challenges me, is my passion,& makes me a better person. For this, I'm thankful.

Day 5: I am thankful to have a Dad, 3 brothers, 2 bro-in-laws, and 4 nephews to make my standards high by their example.

Day 6: I'm grateful to have the knowledge, means, and willpower to live a healthy lifestyle.

Day 7: I'm thankful for the painful years of retainers, braces, & oral surgery (8 pulled teeth: 4 adult + 4 impacted wisdom).

Day 8: I'm thankful for my vibrant, healthy hair that can quickly grow and be easily donated to those who need it.

Day 9: I'm grateful for the long talks, laughs, and tears with my sisters and Mom.

Day 10: I'm thankful for a washer and dryer to do laundry whenever I need to in the comfort of my own home.

Day 11: I'm thankful for all the veterans who have sacrificed so much so we can be free.

Day 12: I'm grateful for a cozy, warm, secure bed to sleep in each night. The cold nights always remind of this blessing.

Day 13: I'm grateful for music and all the workouts, loves, heart breaks, long car rides, & fun times it's gotten me through.

Day 14: I'm thankful for all of my education and the endless opportunities that have come with it.

Day 15: I'm thankful for my health.

Day 16: I'm thankful for good-hearted, kind people.

Day 17: I'm thankful for coffee.

Day 18: I'm grateful for all of the strong, courageous women who paved the path so we are free to be whomever we want to be.

Day 19:I'm thankful for running. Began as a simple hobby & led to so many incredible experiences w/ so many invaluable lessons.

Day 20: I'm grateful to have had a childhood that was safe and filled with love. All that I am today is because of this.

Day 21: I'm grateful for my four sweet little nephews that I love so dearly. They make life so much brighter!

Day 22: I'm grateful for every single one of my students. As I have worked hard to teach them, they have taught me so much!

Day 23: After a super busy week, I'm grateful for relaxing Saturdays when there is nothing on the agenda.

Day 24:I'm thankful for being raised with a solid foundation in religion. My faith in the goodness of God is everything to me.

Day 25:I'm thankful for Chipotle. It's fast,customized,affordable deliciousness perfectly portioned. The ultimate fast food!

Day 26: I'm thankful for the treadmill. It ensures that a solid run is possible even in the worst of weather conditions!

Day 27: I'm thankful that my family has the means for a big, delicious Thanksgiving dinner with more food than we can eat.

Day 28: I'm thankful for my fun, crazy,hilarious, loving, big family that gets bigger each year!!! I won the family jackpot!

No comments:

Post a Comment