Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Fibula Road to Recovery

April 29, 2014
WELP. My lil ankle-that-could has turned into the cankle-that-cant. By this afternoon, my ankle was out growing my calf and the pain was O.O.C. I finally sucked it up and stopped by the ER, and apparently I have a fibular fracture. :-X BAHHHHHH! Looks like I'll be taking up some new hobbies over the next few weeks. Perhaps chess? Table tennis? Crochet? ‪#‎stayingpositive‬ ‪#‎itsmyonlychoice
 


April 30, 2014
So grateful...it's looking like no surgery is needed! Apparently I had a stress fracture in my fibula, not a sprain. Doc says it likely broke at some point in the marathon. CRAZINESS! I was BEYOND blessed to finish, let alone manage a PR! I'll be on crutches for a while until it heals, and seeing the Orthopedic doc every week. I'll be taking it easy, staying positive and patient a long the way because it could be much worse. I have SO much to thank God for. I will miss running, but crutches are great for cross-training in the meantime!  

 





May 9, 2014
It has been a rough, LONG week. I've been needy, crabby, exhausted, sore, and at times completely irrational. One minute I'm laughing, and the next I'm crying. I'm so happy to end this week with good news from the orthopedic doctor followed by dinner and cheesecake with my favorite lady! With Mother's Day coming up this weekend, I feel luckier than ever to have been blessed with a Mom as patient, loving, supportive, and sweet as my Mommy. I don't know what I'd do with out her! I love you, Mom! Thank you for putting up with me, and thank you for being YOU!!!
 

May 16, 2014 
Doc said the fibula is healing "perfectly!" I just can't put any weight on it for 2 more weeks. But by then I'll start physical therapy and he thinks I might be able to start walking! Just gotta keep crutchin' in the meantime...
 






May 30, 2014
Doc says the healing is "excellent" but I need stay on crutches for another two weeks. I was pretty disappointed because I went in assuming I'd be leaving walking (and maybe driving). But despite the little let-down, I started physical therapy and am excited that I was able to stand on it for the first time with no pain! This whole process is not easy and quite the rollercoaster ride, but I'm trying hard to take a day at a time and focus on the positive. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be walking in two weeks!!! (...and hopefully driving sooner than later, pllllllease!!!)
 



 June 1, 2014
Crazy to think I haven't walked, let alone run, in 5 weeks. Doing my first PT stretches, simple inversions and eversions of my foot, has been incredibly humbling and has got me thinking. It's amazing how, in just a moment, your life can completely change. The only constant in life is change. So if you're in a funk, don't worry because it's temporary. And, if you're having the time of your life, cherish the moment because it's temporary. Life is unpredictable, but it's all a part of His plan. All we can do is believe, in God and ourselves, and know that everything happens for a reason. 0:-)




June 13, 2014
The good news is that my ankle looks pretty normal (ignore the powder)! The great news is that the x-ray shows the same; Doc said the bone is starting to callus! The super great news is that I can start walking! The super DUPER great news is that I can start driving!!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!! Wooooo weeeeee!!!




June 30, 2014
10 weeks in and all looks good! Doc said I can give the boot the boot! I've been upgraded to an aircast for the next 4 weeks. Although I now have heel-toe walking mastered, I still have to continue on with Physical Therapy focused on strengthening the area. He said it will be at least 4 more weeks until I can run again, but I can start biking and swimming. And that is fine with me! I have to admit I'm enjoying the break from the regimen more than I expected. I'm in no hurry and am content following the doctor's orders until I'm 110%. After all, I've made it this far and I'm still breathing/haven't been institutionalized despite no running or working out over these past 10 weeks!!! Lolllll Running has taught me that the long journeys always have the best rewards. Keeping faith, staying patient, and focusing on the positive!



July 30, 2014
It's been over three months now since I broke my Fibula. I saw Dr. Cohn this morning to check in on my progress. Prior to seeing him, I had a bone density scan and will have to wait at least a week to get the results. I also had an x-ray, which he kindly shared with me during our visit. The bones are aligned, but are still not completey fused. I no longer need to wear my aircast, however I will not be able to run for at least another month. The good news is that my pimp limp is completely gone (sorry, 50 cent!), I graduated from Physical Therapy (I even got a t-shirt!), and I can start power walking on the treadmill (watch out, old ladies!). The greatest news is that I'm progressing, although it is slowly. Dr. Cohn has given me complete faith that I will be back to where I was, eventually!!! Just need to pray for a little bit more patience until I get there!



 


September 1, 2014
The time has come to say good bye to another summer. I expected this summer to be one I would have to "just get through." Little did I know how truly wonderful it was going to be. It is true that some doors have to close in our lives in order for others to open. I have learned that happiness comes when we are able to surrender the control we believe we have in our lives, and focus on doing the best we can each day with what God sets up for us. Our plan is truly in His hands, and we have to keep faith that there is nothing he will throw our way unless we are equipped to handle it. The toughest of situations always show us that we are stronger than we believe. However, this summer has taught me that no matter how strong and independent we may be, we need to accept our vulnerability. We have to let others into our bubbles because we can't get through life on our own. We just can't. We have to love those God has put into our lives for exactly who they are, and let them love us back for exactly who we are. Nobody is perfect, and so we shouldn't waste precious time expecting that out of others nor should we be expecting that out of ourselves.

So much has seemed to come full circle in my life these past few months and I am so excited for all the new doors that have opened. Life isn't easy, nor is it fair. But life is too short and precious to "just get through." When we can find it in ourselves to focus on our blessings, life is REALLY good! Happy almost Fall, everyone! Make it the best one!

 September 10, 2014
It's now been 4 1/2 months since the onset of my injury. I saw Dr. Cohn today and got some great news. I had a bone density scan the last time I saw him, and was shocked to learn that I have osteopenia (which means I have low bone density). Although it is a precursor to osteoporosis, he assured me that it is nothing to be too concerned about because it is common in smaller-framed individuals. I just have those dang Irish genes to blame once again, LOL! All joking aside, it is a relief to know I didn't do anything to cause it. I just need to continue eating lots of milk and cheese and taking calcium/vitamin D supplements.

I also learned that the gap between my bones is sealing, and he thinks that the walking is helping! Although I am showing progress, unfortunately the bones are still not completely fused together. He said that if I start running now, there is a really good chance I will end up with another fracture and will be back to where I was at the end of April. With that said, running it is out of the picture for at least another two months. There is no feeling worse than being told you can't do the thing you love most. It's like a dagger piercing right through your heart. But, although I am very disappointed and my heart is aching, I am accepting it for what it is. I CAN walk. I CAN bike. I CAN drive. I CAN coach...and I am LOVING it! Coaching my cross country kids energizes me more than any race I've ever run on my own. I feel lucky to say that everyday I'm graced with my all-time favorite aspect of this sport: the people. Whether their 14 or 80, runners are truly some of the kindest, most uplifting, passionate, driven people in the world. For that reason, despite the setbacks, I am feeling very blessed for all the things I CAN do.




 November 26, 2014
It's now been 7 months since the onset of my injury. I saw Dr. Cohn today and am blessed to announce that the bone stimulator did its job. I AM COMPLETELY HEALED! He wants me to start using the elliptical, and thinks I will be okay to run by the end of December. However, truth be told, at this point I don't care about running. Not even a little bit. Maybe I will run again someday. Maybe I won't. After all I've been through, it's no longer enough of a priority to me to have a plan in place. All that matters is that I'm HEALTHY, and for that I am SO incredibly thankful!!! 

2 comments:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed your road to recovery and can't wait to see you back at it soon!

    ReplyDelete